Tuesday 24 March 2015

Evaluation

Evaluation

When creating my own six part TV drama, the first thing I did was write down any ideas I had, I thought about TV programs I enjoy and tried to get ideas from these. I then thought of a plot for my TV drama and then constructed an episode breakdown as well as a description on each of my characters. I then chose the segment of an episode I was going to script.
          When constructing my script, I used five types of research. Firstly, I analysed two scripts, to help me with the layout and content of a script, I also reported on two TV drama programs. I then did some Internet research on how to make a script. Before making any drafts I wrote a questionnaire (which included ten questions) in order to help me with my ideas for characters, setting and plot. After my third draft of my script, I used a focus group to help me assess my script so I was able to make improvements.
          The research I found the most useful when writing my script was the analysis of scripts I did before writing it. I found two examples of scripts on BBC writer’s room and I analysed the content, my Internet research came useful in this as I was unsure what some things meant such as numbers, which indicate the location and scene. It helped me establish the way to layout my script as well as the amount of detail and detail to include. When constructing my script I often referred back to the scripts I had analysed to compare them to my own. As I had never made a script before I was unsure how to set it out and what information should be included. This research helped me with establishing the level of description which should be included when making a script, I had used texts to analyse that I was unfamiliar with, which meant I had no previous knowledge of the characters, setting and plot, therefore I was able to write my own script to a level someone reading it could understand how to follow if they were to act it out.
         When reporting on two TV drama programs I chose to report on Skins and The Inbetweeners as they are popular TV programs and are aimed at a teenage audience which is the same demographic my TV drama is targeted at. Despite this, I didn’t find this research useful as it didn’t affect the way I constructed my script that much. However, it helped me to get an idea of how many scene changes should be included within my script, therefore when finalizing my script I used this research.
          Once I had my initial ideas, I wrote a ten question survey and gave it to ten people to help me expand my ideas and develop my characters. However, I didn’t find this research very useful as it didn’t give me any new ideas, some questions were unanswered such as an idea for a name and much of the feedback I got back was no different to my original ideas. The only factor I found useful from my questionnaire findings was the answer about which gender of characters I should use, as prior to making my questionnaire I was unsure whether male or female characters were more appropriate to my TV programme. Most people answered this saying male, however some people had said female therefore I included one female character alongside three male.
          The internet research I mentioned previously was needed as I was completely unfamiliar with writing scripts, this research told me I should be specific about the type of drama I was writing, which in this case was a mystery-drama. It specified that when writing a script it is important to make characters believable and to reveal them through the story and their action. This allowed me to edit my script and to make improvements when constructing the finalised version.
          Lastly, after my third draft I used a focus group, which helped me to notice any errors with in my script and needs for improvement. The feedback I received from my focus group was mainly positive however I added more detail to the actions of the characters and description of the setting. I also had very few scene changes before this and the feedback mentioned that I should add more scene changes, as the script was supposed to be ten minutes long and the scene was only changed twice. After my focus group findings, my script was improved and more detail was added. Another thing I altered was the role of one of the characters, as when producing my script I had intended for ‘Olly’ to be the ‘leader of the group’ and the feedback I received show this didn’t come across through my script. However three out of the five questions asked gave positive responses – questions about characters, genre and the plot of the script.
          After constructing my script, I developed a DVD cover and poster for my TV drama using Microsoft Publisher. I had decided to use dark colours throughout my DVD cover as dark colours such as black and grey show connotations of evil, as my TV drama focuses around murder I wanted to represent this through my DVD cover, I also included red colours (on the back a blood spatter) which shows connotations of violence, not only through the colour but as people will know it is blood.
          The first thing seen on my DVD cover is the title (WAREHOUSE) which straight away shows that the programme may be set in a warehouse or a warehouse is used as a setting throughout the programme. Inside the ‘O’ in ‘warehouse is a silhouette of a toy soldier, this could indicate that the program is about war, or that the toy soldier represents something in the programme. It also shows connotations of violence, as soldiers are stereotypically associated with this.
          The logo shown in the bottom right corner of the front of the DVD cover is the e4 logo. Channel 4 is a well-known and well-respected institution and is a large broadcast channel. However e4 would usually suggest that the demographic for this programme is teenagers as stereotypically this is the target audience for programmes shown on e4.
          The front cover’s background is a room in an abandoned building; it is washed out so it is harder to see the whole photograph properly, which may also suggest the programme is a mystery, as the photograph on the front is unclear. There isn’t much colour used on the front cover, despite a puddle of blood inside the photograph. Blood could suggest connotations of death, allowing the viewer of this DVD cover to establish the plot of the programme. The editing used on this photo could suggest it was harder to make and more time was spent on it, which may make someone want to watch it more.
          The age certificate shown on the front and side of the DVD cover is ‘18’ which also shows that the target audience may be older teenagers as it is deemed inappropriate for younger people. This is also shown on the back of the cover which says the programme includes violence and strong language (explaining why the TV programme is rated an 18 certificate).
          The words ‘critically acclaimed’ shown on the description on the back as well as the 4 star rating, suggest the programme is worth watching. This entices an audience to want to watch the programme.  
         The photograph shown on the back cover is in black and white, old mystery films are often produced in these colours which also gives away connotations of mystery and allows for a demographic audience of fans of this particular genre. The character shown within this photograph appears to also show connotations of mystery as their face is covered with a mask as well as their body covered by a large coat, the gender of the character cannot be established through studying the picture.  They are also using direct mode of address facing the audience, wearing a smug smile indicating they have done something to be smug about. Some people may view this as creepy as the character is stood directly facing the audience.

          As there is not much detail included on the front cover it could suggest that the programme is confident, in that not much needs to be included for them to gain viewers. It also doesn’t look over crowded and sets an enigma of what the programme could be about.

No comments:

Post a Comment